Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Understanding BMI

BMI: Body Mass Index
Is your child overweight?

Calculate Your Child's Body Mass and for more information.
Click HERE

Body Mass Index (BMI) is a number calculated from a child's weight and height. BMI is a reliable indicator of body fatness for most children and teens
Weight Status CategoryPercentile Range
UnderweightLess than the 5th percentile
Healthy weight5th percentile to less than the 85th percentile
Overweight85th to less than the 95th percentile
ObeseEqual to or greater than the 95th percentile

7 comments:

  1. Great information! Are there normal BMI fluctuations for children or is their BMI usually consistent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great gadget to have on your blog! Easy to access and simple. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachelle I believe the BMI is pretty consistent because it just needs your height and weight. But if you click on the website its a great informational site all about the BMI! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the gadge too. It's very easy to use. Would you say BMI is a pretty accurate indicator of body mass in children and adults?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't trus this BMI much. I took my BMI and I'm considered over weight with the BMI chart. I weigh 165, I'm 5'9'' or 5'10'', and I'm pretty muscular. And it's not bcause I don't know how to calculate it. We had to do it for one of classes last semester.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, BMI charts are not accurate at all for adults. Like nickstandifordcushings said... it doesn't take into account muscle mass, which could make a muscular man seen "obese".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. Most people don't understand the BMI concept. this is great

    ReplyDelete